turf farmhouses and other reconstructed buildings are good examples of
south Icelandic architecture. The walls are mostly built of basaltic
rocks: hyaloclastite and tholeiite; the buildings are roofed with turf
on top of flat rocks. Most of the timber used for construction was
driftwood. All the interior fittings are of 19th-century, and the
oldest from 1838.
The north wing was built in 1954-55, and the southern in 1990-95. A glazed unit
connecting the old and new buildings houses the museum foyer. The new
building was designed by architects Stefán Örn Stefánsson and Grétar
parlour dates from 1896, bedroom from 1838, pantry from about 1850,
kitchen from about 1880, baðstofa (communal room where the household
slept, ate and worked) from 1895, storehouse from 1830, cattleshed from
about 1880, smithy from about 1950.
Church was consecrated in 1998. The exterior structure is new, while
most of the interior fittings are from Kálfholt Church, built in 1879.
The windows, which date from 1898, are from Gröf Church. One of the
bells, which dates from about 1600, is from Höfðabrekka, the other from
Ásar, Skaftártunga, from 1742. All the ecclesiastical goods date from
the 17th and 18th centuries. The altarpiece is from Ásólfsskáli Church
(1768), the candelabra from Steinar Church and Eyvindarhólar Church
from Holt in the Síða district. The first wooden house in the county of
West Skaftafellssýsla, the house was built entirely of driftwood by
District Commissioner Árni Gíslason in 1878. The wall panels in the west
parlour are from the hospital ship St. Paul which ran aground off
Meðalland in 1899. The house was lived in until 1974. In 1980 it was
moved to Skógar Museum and reconstructed.
The schoolhouse was the elementary school at Litli-Hvammur, Mýrdalur, built in 1901. Reconstructed at Skógar Museum 1999-2000.
Skál farmhouse and storehouse from Gröf
from Skál, Síða, built 1919-20, reconstructed at Skógar Museum 1989.
Baðstofa (communal room where the household slept, ate and worked) built
over the cattleshed to benefit from the warmth of the animals. Front
section of farmhouse with kitchen and parlour. The house was lived in
until 1970. The storehouse, from Gröf, Skaftártunga, dates from about
The HEP plant, from Breiðabólstaður, Síða, dates from 1929. It was installed at the museum by electrician Guðmundur Einarsson.