Skogar Museum is open 364 days of the year
June - August: 10:00 - 18:00
September: 10:00 – 17:00
Oktober – April: 11:00 – 16:00
May: 10:00 – 17:00
Skip to the content
Þórður Tómasson the former director of Skógar Museum will celebrate his 100th birthday this year and this page will be dedicated to him and his life's work for the museum.
In 1944, the residents of the two farms at Ytri-Skógar donated 69% of their land to the counties of Rangárvellir and West Skaftafell, to construct a new boarding school.
At the first meeting of the school board in 1945 it was suggested that a folk museum be established in the basement of the school. Three people were selected to collect artefacts for this new museum. One of them was Þórður Tómasson (from Vallnatún, b. 1921) who was later appointed director of the museum, and continued to work there until 2014.
Byggðasafn Rangæinga (Folk Museum of Rangárvellir County) was opened in 1949 and the first exhibition took place in the basement of the new school on December 1, 1949.
The museum expanded rapidly and in 1952 West Skaftafell County became a partner. The name was changed to Byggðasafn Rangæinga og V.-Skaftfellinga / Folk Museum of Rangárvellir and West Skaftafell. It was later called Skógasafn / Skógar Museum.
Initially Þórður Tómasson took responsibility for the museum, and in 1959 he was appointed as director. He was an organist in two churches and for many years he was a member of the parish councils of both. For ten years he was also a member of the Rangárvellir county council. In 1997 Þórður was awarded an honorary doctorate by the University of Iceland for his contribution to research in the public interest.
Guided tours are available upon reservation in English, German and Icelandic. Sometimes there is the opportunity to have guided tours in French, Spanish, Norwegian and Danish.
Tour times are from opening time up to 1 hour before closing time.
For group reservations and guided tours please email email@example.com or call +354 487 8845.